Thursday 26 August 2010

Gettin' lippy with it

I have full lips. Fact. And do I like being well-endowed in the lower-face region? Well that's easy - absolutely!
I have to say, full lips are definitely a great attribute to possess, providing they are in proportion to the entire face, of course! They also appear to have become quite the coveted facial feature in our modern times: celebrities injecting their 'smackers' with the latest substance that happens to be 'in' with the hopes of achieving ultimate opulence. (I've always actually found this just a little bit amusing).
 I've heard more recently that you can have a substance that naturally occurs in the teeth and eyes injected.
Then, of course, you have your plumping effect lipsticks/lipglosses to pump up that pout!
Admittedly, I have caught myself smuggly grinning and thinking to myself "I don't need that..haha!" as I've scanned over such products in Boots.

I used to think that there was a down-side to having full lips (and I tell ya, there aren't many!) and that would be that it is not really possible to rock absolutely every shade of lipstick - especially the whole bright red, golliwog-esque look? Not.Great.

As my fellow full-lipped females may be able to testify, certain shades can actually give the illusion of an over-inflated lip which then appears to be disproportionate to the other facial features. So what you then end up with is more Professor Klump rather than Heidi Klum! No. No we don't need that.

All of that was just my introduction to the reasons for my initial reluctance to wearing lipstick - ever. Well actually, firstly, one reason is, I'd just never really been into it, nothing wrong with it, I've always thought that it looks great on others. But it's just that I can be quite lazy when it comes to applying make-up - I do tend to opt for the fresh-faced look on a daily basis.
But in addition to that, the feeling of horror that would grip me at the thought of potentially choosing the wrong shade and thus resembling a caricuture was just a little too much to contend with. But if by a stroke of intuition I did manage to make a good choice of shade, you then have to consider: do I need to apply lip liner? Do I go for a matt or glossy finish? It just seemed too complex!
However a wave of courage seems to have overtaken me this summer. I also think the simply fabulous hues that are currently 'in' this season has inspired my decision to be bold and wear bold - lipstick, that is.
After some experimenting I realised that I can actually get away with wearing a wider range of shades than I first thought! So I made myself a "must-have" list of 3 on-trend shades that have been gracing my lips this summer: hot (Barbie) pink, light lilac and a warm golden coral.

The images of me modelling these lipsticks (below) is all in aid of giving you fuller-lipped femmes an idea of what these shades can potentially look like on you, if - like myself once upon a time - you are unsure of entering the world of lipstick. 
Well, allow me to model them for you.

Now the pink was easy to find - these shades are everywhere. I fell in love with one from the Topshop make-up range:













 Looks as though the bright pink can work afterall!
The lilac, a bit more tricky to track down, but by a stroke of fortune, my mother presented me with a fairly good offering that she had never worn and deemed worthy to be tossed aside. But it worked rather well for me:




The coral had me hunting high and low. I'm talking about a good couple of weeks of searching! So imagine my elation when I found this! 








What's great about all of these shades is that they are versatile, they can be worn with an array of outfits during the day and evening.

I now officially have a newly-found, fab relationship with lipstick!













No comments:

Post a Comment